Healthy Saint Paul is supporting the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition in honor of National Physical Fitness and Sports Month. During the month of May, we challenge all employees to get 30 minutes of physical activity every day.
Did you know that regular physical activity increases your chances of living a longer, healthier life? It also reduces your risk for high blood pressure, heart disease, and some types of cancer.
The Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans recommend that adults:
- Aim for 2 hours and 30 minutes of moderate aerobic activity each week. Moderate activity includes things like walking fast, dancing, swimming, and
- Do muscle-strengthening activities – like lifting weights or using exercise bands – at least 2 days a week.
Physical activity is for everyone. No matter what shape you are in, you can find activities that work for you. Together, we can rise to the challenge and get more active during the month of May!
- Join Walk Around the Clock – the challenge begins May 10. To register, sign in to your healthpartners.com health and well-being page. (Team registration closed April 26, but you can still sign up and participate as an individual).
- Thought about running a 5K? Sign up for “Run Like a Mother” to be held on May 9 at Lake Phalen. Their website provides 5K training programs for novices to advanced runners. Find a list of more fun events going on in St. Paul during the month of May at http://healthy.stpaul.gov/whats-happening/.
- Golfing more your thing? Find out what’s happening at Highland, Como or Phalen courses and sign up to receive specials here: http://www.golfstpaul.org/index.php.
Whatever you like to do – walk, run, bike, golf, dance, swim, etc. – take the 30 minute challenge for May and get moving!